Medicare has some very particular rules about chiropractic that require some clarification.
- Chiropractic physicians are the only healthcare professionals that are not allowed to "opt-out" of Medicare. What this means to you is that if you are over 65 and wish to be seen in our clinic, we have to bill Medicare (there is an exception to this that will be covered later).
- Medicare will only pay for chiropractic adjustments. They do not cover any exam or additional therapies that are a part of your treatment. Examples include electrical stimulation therapy, ultrasound, exercise therapy, and so on. These items will have to be paid by the patient when they receive treatment.
- Medicare does not cover maintenance or wellness care. This means they will only cover a treatment for a condition as long as you "show improvement". For example, if you come to our clinic because you already have low back pain then Medicare will pay for the adjustments but if you come to our clinic because you understand the benefits of routine chiropractic care don't have a current "condition", then Medicare will not pay for your care.
- For the instances where Medicare will not pay for your care, we will do our best to make you aware of it prior to beginning treatment. You will have to sign an Advanced Beneficiary Notice which states that you are aware that some of your treatment is not covered by Medicare and then you can choose if you want us to bill Medicare or not.
- If you ever have questions related to what Medicare covers or does not cover, do not hesitate to call us or send us an email on our contact page.